1/4 Photos of Ligurian Buridda (Italian Fish Stew)
2 hrs 25 mins
Like everywhere else in Italy, in Liguria you can find a local food tradition, simple but packed with flavor. Buridda, a traditional Ligurian specialty, is a variety of fresh fish gently stewed in an aromatic tomato sauce flavored with garlic, herbs, carrots, onion and olive oil. Buridda is boasted as the region's tastiest dish. Serve over toasted Italian Garlic Bread. This dish can be made with fresh cheap fish cuts such as; dogfish, red mullet, angler fish, drumfish, etc. You can also add crab meat or use baby squid. This recipe is a result of the Fun, Food and Friends Game #1 that was part of 2005 RSC. I would like to thank Richard, the moderator of the Italian forum, for welcoming us and joining in our fun -- And to Susie D the game's host -- This was an amazing game!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, for shallow-frying
- 2 carrots, finely diced
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 3 sprigs thyme, leaves picked
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 kg beef tomatoes or 2 kg plum tomatoes, skinned, seeded and chopped
- 850 ml fresh fish stock
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- 6 monkfish steaks, on the bone
- 12 squid rings
- 12 raw king prawns
- 6 small bass fillets or 6 small sea bream fillets
- 12 raw mussels
- 1Heat the olive oil in large heavy-based saucepan or casserole dish.
- 2Add in the carrot, onion, thyme and garlic and fry gently over a low heat for 5 minutes.
- 3Add in the tomatoes and the fish stock.
- 4Season with salt, freshly ground pepper and a little sugar.
- 5Cover the tomato mixture with a cartouche (a lid made from baking paper) and simmer very gently for 2 hours, stirring now and then.
- 6Add in the monkfish, squid, king prawns, bass and mussels and simmer for 5-10 minutes until the fish and seafood is cooked through.
- 7Serve the Buridda over slices of toasted Garlic Italian bread.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Ligurian Buridda (Italian Fish Stew)
Serving Size: 1 (511 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 300.1
- Calories from Fat 78
- Total Fat 8.7 g
- Saturated Fat 1.6 g
- Cholesterol 149.1 mg
- Sodium 572.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 19.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.8 g
- Sugars 10.6 g
- Protein 36.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included: