Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs 30 mins
A vegan crock pot recipe that I lightened up and made pantry-ready. None of the ingredients are refridgerated.
- 1 cup flour
- 1⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄4 cup Splenda granular
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa
- 1⁄2 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 2⁄3 cup water
- 1 teaspoon vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup coffee
- 1 cup hot water
- Oil the crock of your slow cooker.
- Mix flour, granulated sugar, splenda, baking soda, 2 T cocoa in a bowl.
- Mix brown sugar and 3 T cocoa in a separate bowl.
- Add oil, 2/3 c water and 1 t vinegar to flour mixture, stir until combined.
- Spread in the bottom of crock.
- Sprinkle brown sugar/cocoa mix over the batter.
- Gently pour hot water and coffee over sugar.
- Cook on HIGH for 2 hours, or until a knife inserted in the cake comes out clean.
- Take off the lid and let it rest for 30 minutes before serving.
- The pudding will be on the bottom and the cake on top. Spoon pudding over cake to serve.
The recipe works very well indeed and I certainly do appreciate the low fat and sugar. In my personal opinion it could use a couple more Tbsp of Splenda. I used just 1 Tbsp of sugar and filled the rest of the 1/2 cup with Splenda and I used 1/4 cup of Splenda Brown Blend (as recommended by Splenda). This is a lovely year round dessert, easy and not kitchen heating for the summer and a warming, comforting dessert for winter. I love that it's made with things that I always have on hand. Made for PAC, Spring 09.
This was like a grand experiment for me. I've never tried making cake in a crockpot before. Because my crockpot is so freaking huge, I doubled the recipe, but left the cooking time the same. I timed it so it would be done a couple hours after dinner. What a low-calorie, low-fat treat! Thanks for posting!