1 hr 40 mins
Modified from Martha Stewart Everyday Food Magazine, Oct '07. According to the magazine, the fat content is reduced relative to regular potpie by the use of white meat, extra veggies, and phyllo dough instead of a pie crust. Comfort food, yet with a very light and fresh flavor...the lemon juice is magic. You can save some time if you have leftover chicken.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb boneless chicken breast
- coarse salt
- fresh ground pepper
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 4 carrots, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 1 medium onion, chopped fine
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon dried sage
- 1/4 teaspoon dried savory (optional)
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 cups low-fat milk
- 2 cups frozen peas or 2 cups other frozen vegetables
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 6 phyllo pastry sheets (12 by 17 inches)
- 1Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- 2Rub the chicken with salt and pepper and bake on a baking sheet with a raised lip for 25 minutes, or until chicken has an internal temperature of 165°F.
- 3When the chicken is done, pull it out and set aside.
- 4Heat 2 Tbsp of oil in a large saucepan, and saute onions, carrots and thyme, sage, and savory until the carrots are crisp-tender, about 8 minutes.
- 5Add the flour to the onions and carrots and cook, stirring constantly, for 1 minute.
- 6Gradually add the milk and stir, heating it until it is simmering and slightly thick.
- 7Shred the chicken.
- 8Add lemon juice, frozen vegetables, and chicken to the carrot mixture. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- 9Pour into a 1.5-quart casserole.
- 10Lay out two sheets of phyllo dough on a dry surface, and brush with olive oil. Lay two more sheets on top of these, brush with olive oil, and repeat.
- 11Lay the layered dough onto the top of the casserole. Tuck in around the sides so the edges of the dough flare up and make a nice edge. Brush the edges with a bit more olive oil.
- 12Cook in the 400°F oven for 20 minutes, or until browned and bubbly.
- 13Cool 15 minutes before serving.
Browse Our Top Savory Pies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Lighter Chicken Pot Pie
Serving Size: 1 (479 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 556.6
- Calories from Fat 219
- Total Fat 24.3 g
- Saturated Fat 5.9 g
- Cholesterol 80.2 mg
- Sodium 400.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 47.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.9 g
- Sugars 16.0 g
- Protein 36.2 g