Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 hrs
A lighter, vegetarian potato soup that can be made in the crock pot. This is one of my husband's favorite dishes. An immersion blender makes it easy to produce a thick, rich texture. If you don't have an immersion blender, you can put the soup in a regular blender or food processor to puree, but that can get messy.
- 4 cups diced potatoes
- 4 cups cauliflower
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- black pepper, to taste
- sea salt, to taste
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 tablespoons olive oil or 2 tablespoons butter
- 6 cups vegetable broth, divided
- 1 (8 ounce) package fat free cream cheese
- 8 tablespoons shredded cheese
- Put cauliflower in a microwave safe bowl with 1/2 cup water. Microwave 10-15 minutes, or until very soft.
- In small saucepan, heat olive oil or butter over medium-high heat. Use a whisk to blend in flour. Mixture will become very thick.
- Slowly pour in 1 cup vegetable broth. Continue whisking until smooth. Stir continually 1-2 minutes or until mixture is thick.
- Combine flour mixture, potatoes, cauliflower, onion, garlic, and remaining broth in crock pot. Add salt and pepper if desired. Cook on low 10-12 hours, or high 6-8 hours.
- Just before serving, cube cream cheese and microwave 1-2 minutes until very soft.
- Scoop about 1-2 cups of potato chunks out of the crock pot, and set aside. (More if you like chunkier soup; less if you like smoother.) Make sure and leave all cauliflower chunks in the crock pot.
- Add cream cheese to crock pot. Use an immersion blender to thoroughly puree; leave no chunks.
- Stir remaining potato chunks back inches Serve. Top each bowl with 1 tbsp shredded cheese.
- You can also top with bacon, chives, and sour cream, if desired.
I followed your recipe right on down, using some homemade vegetable stock & that worked out just fine! Then, since there are only 2 of us here, I sent a little over half of it over to my vegetarian son & DIL & they, too, thoroughly enjoyed it! Definitely a recipe I'll be making again! [Made & reviewed in New Kids on the Block recipe tag]