Recipe by Derf
Try this hearty soup for supper with chunks of rye bread to dunk. All you'll need to finish a comfort food supper is some apples and cheese for dessert.
Top Review by Dawn
I just made this soup last night and it was wonderful. The smokey flavor of the ham hocks adds just the right touch. For the base, I added 6 cups low fat chicken broth and then added 6 cups water. I also added thinly sliced Kielbasa sausage during the last half hour, for my husband the carnivore! We dunked bits of Foccacia in ours.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped Spanish onions
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons garlic, minced
- 12 cups water
- 1 cup dried brown lentils
- 1 cup dried split peas
- 4 smoked ham hocks (about 3 3/4 lbs)
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried sage
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1 -2 bay leaf
- 1 1⁄2 cups diced carrots
- 1 1⁄4 cups chopped celery
- lemon slice
Directions See How It's Made
- In a heavy (cast iron is best) dutch oven heat oil over medium heat.
- Add onion and garlic and cook about 5 minutes, stirring until soft.
- Add remaining ingredients except carrots,celery and lemon slices.
- Bring to boil.
- Reduce heat to low, cover pot.
- Simmer 1 1/4 hours.
- Add carrots and celery.
- Bring back to boil then reduce heat and simmer 40 minutes, uncovered.
- Remove pot from heat.
- Lift out hocks and bay leaf, discard bay leaves.
- Cool hocks enough to handle, remove fat and bones.
- Put meat back in soup. Stir and heat gently.
- Float a lemon slice on top of each serving.