Prep 30 mins
Cook 3 hrs
Try this hearty soup for supper with chunks of rye bread to dunk. All you'll need to finish a comfort food supper is some apples and cheese for dessert.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped Spanish onions
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons garlic, minced
- 12 cups water
- 1 cup dried brown lentils
- 1 cup dried split peas
- 4 smoked ham hocks (about 3 3/4 lbs)
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried sage
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1 -2 bay leaf
- 1 1⁄2 cups diced carrots
- 1 1⁄4 cups chopped celery
- lemon slice
- In a heavy (cast iron is best) dutch oven heat oil over medium heat.
- Add onion and garlic and cook about 5 minutes, stirring until soft.
- Add remaining ingredients except carrots,celery and lemon slices.
- Bring to boil.
- Reduce heat to low, cover pot.
- Simmer 1 1/4 hours.
- Add carrots and celery.
- Bring back to boil then reduce heat and simmer 40 minutes, uncovered.
- Remove pot from heat.
- Lift out hocks and bay leaf, discard bay leaves.
- Cool hocks enough to handle, remove fat and bones.
- Put meat back in soup. Stir and heat gently.
- Float a lemon slice on top of each serving.
I just made this soup last night and it was wonderful. The smokey flavor of the ham hocks adds just the right touch. For the base, I added 6 cups low fat chicken broth and then added 6 cups water. I also added thinly sliced Kielbasa sausage during the last half hour, for my husband the carnivore! We dunked bits of Foccacia in ours.
This soup is just like the soup my Mum made when I was growing up, love this sort of smoky flavour in soups, and also the pea and lentil texture. I used 2 ham hocks as the two of them weighed 3 1/2 lbs. This made a huge pot and is very filling. Delicious!
We've never tried anything like this and were happy with the results. We also replaced 6 cups of the water with fat free chicken broth . Instead of the ham hocks, we used 99% fat free ham steak. Very yummy...and very healthy!! Especially if it is a cold day outside.