Pinto Beans and Ham Hocks
Note: To speed up cooking of beans and reduce the gas beans produce, soak beans in cold water overnight or for three hours during the day. You can also use the ham hocks as your meat side dish. However, ham hocks are a high-fat food.
- Ready In:
- 2hrs 40mins
- 3 smoked ham hocks
- 2 lbs dried pinto beans
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons hot sauce
- 1⁄2 medium chopped onion
- Boil ham hocks on high heat for 45 minutes.
- Add all seasonings except hot sauce and onion. Continue boiling for 20 minutes.
- Add pinto beans, hot sauce, and onion. Boil on medium heat until beans are done to taste (usually I go for about 1 1/2 hours).
- Serve with rice and a meat side dish. Tastes even better the 2nd day!
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
see 9 more