Prep 20 mins
Cook 35 mins
A great way to start the day.
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄4 cups plain yogurt
- 1 egg
- 1⁄4 cup lemon juice
- 1 lemon, peeled and chopped
- 1⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 fresh lemon rind, peeled and chopped
- 1⁄2 lemon, juice of
- Preheat the oven to 400F (200C).
- In a large bowl, mix together the flour, rolled oats, 1/2 cup granulated sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the yogurt, egg, 1/4 cup lemon juice, and finely chopped peeled lemon (white pith removed first).
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry, mixing only until blended.
- Fill 12 well-greased muffin cups two thirds full.
- Bake for 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the centre of a muffin comes out clean.
- Meanwhile, prepare the syrup: Put 1/4 cup granulated sugar and the grated rind and juice of 1/2 lemon in a small pot.
- Bring to a boil and reserve.
- When the muffins are baked, prick all over with a toothpick.
- Do not remove them from the pan until cooled.
- Brush the warm syrup on the hot muffins.
Made these when my mom was visiting and we all liked them. They are not too sweet and were easy to make. Thank you!
The muffins had a rubbery texture inside and out, which spoiled the very nice lemon taste (love the ingredients in this recipe). Is it because I used a non-stick muffin pan (even though I did grease it with butter)? Also, the directions on the syrup were confusing, the ingredients list called for peeled and chopped lemon rind whereas the recipe for the syrup called for grated rind. I zested a half-lemon, which seemed to work ok, though the syrup was a bit more tart than I expected. Overall, this didn't work for me. Thanks.
I thought these were really good warm, but they were a little too hard cold. Better after a quick trip through the microwave. I did not have lemons so used clementines for an orange flavor. Great flavor. Used Fage 0% yogurt which I think makes them practically fat free and probably decreases the calories too. Made 15 muffins. Less than 20 minutes but I forgot to set the timer. No trouble getting out of Pam'd muffin pan. Made for 2012 February Sun and Spice.