Prep 3 hrs
Cook 15 mins
Butter, lemon, sugar and spice
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated lemons, zest
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Whip butter in large bowl until smooth.
- Add sugar and mix well.
- Add egg, lemon juice and zest; beat well.
- Combine and sift dry ingredients and gradually add into butter mixture.
- Mix well after each addition.
- Shape dough into 2 logs, (1 and 1/2" x 6").
- Wrap each in plastic wrap.
- Chill for 2-3 hours (or up to a week.) Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Cut logs into 1/4-inch-thick slices.
- Place on greased cookie sheets.
- Bake about 15 minutes or until edges are light brown.
- Transfer to wire rack to cool.
This made part of a very wonderful dessert for our dinner tonight. Just loved this! Thank you for sharing!
I am not fond of these cookies. I was expecting a wonderfully tart and lemony sugar cookie. There is a faint bitterness. Other sugar cookies have a better texture.