Old-Fashioned Lemon Sugar Cookies
- Ready In:
- 1hr 15mins
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Sift flour, baking soda, and salt into a bowl and set aside.
- Put sugars and lemon zest in the bowl of an electric mixer (paddle attachment if available) and mix at medium speed for about 30 seconds (until well blended).
- Add butter, mix at medium speed until pale and fluffy, about 1 to 2 minutes.
- Mix in eggs, one at a time, at medium speed, then add lemon juice and continue mixing at medium speed for about 30 seconds.
- Reduce speed and gradually add flour mixture. Mix until just combined.
- Chill mixture for at least 15 minutes.
- Drop cookie dough onto non-stick cookie sheets spaced 2 inches apart.
- Place remaining cookie mixture in refrigerator and cookie sheet(s) in freeze for 15 minutes.
- Using the flat bottom of a drinking glass, press the cookies till about 1/2 inch thick.
- If desired, sprinkle cookies with sanding sugar and brush lightly with wet pastry brush. Sprinkle with more sanding sugar to taste.
- Return to freezer for approximately 5 minutes.
- Bake at 350° for 15 minutes.
- Let cool on sheets for 3 minutes and transfer cookies to cookie rack and cool.
- Repeat from step 8 till cookie mixture is depleted.
- Cookies can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature up to 3 days.
- Finished cookies should weigh just about 21 grams and measure about 3 1/4 inches in diameter.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
The cookies didn't taste bad, although it wasn't like a lemon sugar cookie, nor like a sugar cookie for that matter...The kids liked them. I was a little disappointed after all the trouble I went through...The cookies were completely flat. Like eating baked crepes. I was thinking this recipe was for the fluffy cookies that my grandma used to make...Nothing what I expected. If you are looking for a light cookie, that tastes good, this is your recipe, but if you are looking for traditional lemon sugar cookies or sugar cookies, look elsewhere.
Oh, man, are these ever good. I like them super lemony, so I used the zest of three lemons. My family loved them so much they begged me not to put them in our holiday cookie bags and just eat them all ourselves. Make sure you do space them well apart on the baking sheet or they will spread together. I used a melon baller to scoop the dough, and then a small glass to flatten to 1/2 inch thick. Perfect!