Recipe by Becca- B
I found this recipe in a book called " Great coffee cakes, sticky buns, muffins & more", and I didn't want to loose it . I was looking for a great scratch recipe for these muffins and this one fits the bill.
Top Review by ChloeBaby
I was looking for a good from scratch lemon muffin too, and this is what I found, and it was delicious!!! Lovely lemon flavour. Just don't do what I did: I decided that I wanted them to be really yellow, like at the bakery (I don't know why). Well, I was a little heavy handed with the food dye and had atomic yellow lemon muffins! lol I will be making these again and again, just without the food dye....
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, slightly firm
- 4 teaspoons lemon zest, freshly grated
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 cup superfine sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk
- 1⁄4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 4 teaspoons granulated sugar, for garnish
Directions See How It's Made
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, poppy seeds, baking powder,salt, and baking soda.
- Cut butter into 1" pieces and place in mixing bowl with paddle attachment.Add lemon zest.
- Mix on medium speed about 1 minute. Drizzle in the oil the mix 1 minute more.
- Add sugar, 2 to 3 tbsp at a time, scrape bowl as needed.
- Add eggs, one at a time beating well after each addition.
- In a small bowl combine buttermilk, lemon juice and vanilla.
- Reduce mixer to low and add flour mix alternately with liquids, starting and ending with flour.
- Mix until just blended.
- Spoon into prepared muffin cups until almost full.
- Sprinkle top of each muffin with scant 1/2 tsp of granulated sugar.
- Bake 25 to 30 minutes @ 350 F , or until tops are golden and spring back to the touch.