Recipe by Katzen
Courtesy of Canadian Living's Dinner Club.
Top Review by Sydney Mike
What a great tasting loaf ~ Really enjoyed the combo of lemon & poppy seed & was generous when measuring both seeds & zest! This is definitely a keeper recipe for me, & I'll be making it from time to time throughout the year! Thanks for sharing this great recipe! [Tagged & made in Please Review My Recipe]
Lemon Poppy Seed Loaf
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon rind
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1⁄3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon lemon rind, grated
- 1⁄3 cup lemon juice
Directions See How It's Made
- In large bowl, beat butter with sugar until light and fluffy; beat in eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition.
- In separate bowl, whisk together flour, poppy seeds, lemon rind, baking powder and salt; stir into butter mixture alternately with milk, making 3 additions of flour mixture and 2 of milk. Spread in greased 8- x 4-inch (1.5 L) loaf pan.
- Bake in centre of 325 F oven for 1 hour or until cake tester inserted in centre comes out clean. Place pan on rack.
- Lemon Syrup: In saucepan or microwaveable measure, warm sugar and lemon rind and juice until sugar dissolves. With skewer, pierce hot loaf right to bottom in 12 places; pour lemon syrup over loaf.
- Let loaf cool in pan for 30 minutes; turn out onto rack and let cool completely. Wrap and let stand for 12 hours before slicing. Makes 1 loaf, 12 slices.
- Make-Ahead Tip: Store at room temperature for up to 2 days or overwrap with heavy-duty foil and freeze for up to 1 month.