1/1 Photo of Lemon Lavender Cookies
If you want to do something special for someone, bake them these. Adapted from Baking Illustrated
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons grated lemon zest t. juice from 1-2 lemons
- 2 tablespoons juice from 1-2 lemons
- 2 teaspoons dried lavender (optional, but then they'd just be lemon cookies)
- 1 3/4 cups flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 12 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into 1/2 cubes
- 1 egg yolk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1In a food processor , process the sugar, lemon zest and lavender until the sugar looks damp and the zest and lavender are fully incorporated, about 30 seconds. Whisk together the flour, baking soda and salt, then add to the sugar mixture; pulse to combine, about 10 1-second pulses.
- 2Scatter the butter pieces over and pulse until the mixture resembles fine cornmeal, about 15 1-second pulses. In a measuring cup, beat together the lemon juice, egg yolk and vanilla. With the machine running, add the juice mixture in a slow stream (should take about 10 seconds) and continue processing until the dough forms into a ball, 10 to 15 seconds longer.
- 3Turn the dough and any dry bits onto a clean work surface and gently gather into a ball. Working quickly, roll the dough into a cylinder about 12 inches; long and 1½” in diameter. Center the dough on a piece of parchment or plastic wrap and wrap tightly, twisting the ends together to seal. Chill the dough until firm and cold, about 45 minutes in the freezer or 2 hours in the refrigerator.
- 4Preheat the oven to 375°F Line baking sheets with parchment paper or spray them with nonstick cooking spray. Seriously. Even if you think your pans are non-stick pans, and even if you’re out of parchment paper and don’t feel like running to the store in the middle of all this. Line the sheets with parchment paper! Otherwise your delicate cookies will stick to the pan and crumble when you try to remove them.
- 5Remove the dough log from its wrapper and use a sharp knife to slice the dough into 3/8 inch; thick rounds. Place the rounds on the prepared baking sheets, spacing them 1 inch; apart. Bake until the centers of the cookies just begin to color and the edges are golden brown, about 10-12 minutes (the original recipe says 14-16 minutes, but 10 minutes was perfect for me, rotating the baking sheet halfway through the baking time. Cool on sheets about 5 minutes, then transfer the cookies to a wire rack to cool completely.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Lemon Lavender Cookies
Serving Size: 1 (559 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 663.6
- Calories from Fat 324
- Total Fat 36.1 g
- Saturated Fat 22.3 g
- Cholesterol 138.7 mg
- Sodium 175.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 79.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.4 g
- Sugars 37.7 g
- Protein 6.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included: