Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
This is no-bake except for the crust. If you are using the packaged lemon pie filling mix add in a couple tablespoons of fresh lemon juice just to "kick it up a notch" and also a couple drops of yellow food colouring if desired.! If you prefer a sweeter filling then add in some sugar when beating the cream cheese mixture, just remember that the Cool Whip is already sweetened. To save time make the crust up to a day in advance. You can double this and make it in a 13 x 9-inch pan, and I strongly suggest doing so, this dessert is AMAZING!
Top Review by VeniceParrish
This recipe is good and tastes fine, but I have two comments about the accompanying photo of the food item. It's terrible to look at! It's droopy and sagging and looks very unappetizing. Plus, this recipe calls for a square pan and yet, the food portion has been cut into a wedge shape indicative of a round pan. It's very important to provide a photo that is accurate and appetizizng.
- 1 1⁄2 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 1⁄3 cup melted butter
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 12 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 (8 ounce) containercool whip frozen whipped topping (completely thawed)
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice (can use bottled)
- lemon pie filling, cooled (can use homemeade or store-bought)
- whipped cream (or use Cool Whip topping, thawed) (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Lightly grease bottom of a 11 x 7-inch or a 9-inch baking dish.
- Prepare you favorite lemon pie filling recipe; remove from stove-top and cool at room temperature until semi-cooled (the mixture should not be hot).
- In a bowl mix together the graham cracker crumbs with melted butter and sugar; lighty press into the bottom of the baking dish.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 3-4 minutes (just enough to set the crust).
- Cool the crust to almost room temperature (I just place it in the fridge for a speedy cooling).
- In a large bowl beat the softened cream cheese with 1 cup powerdered sugar until very smooth and fluffy.
- Add in the lemon juice; beat until combined.
- Add in the thawed Cool Whip; using the low speed of the mixer or a spatula, mix until combined.
- Spread the mixture over the top of the cooled crumb crust.
- Top/spread with the semi-cooled lemon pie filling (if you find that the mixture is a little lumpy just lightly whisk until smooth).
- Top/spread with a thin layer of whipped cream or thawed Cool Whip topping or dollup onto top of a slice.
- Chill for 2 hours before serving.