Luscious Lemon Meringue Pie
Perk up a pie filler with an addition of fresh lemon juice and lemon rind. Make a full, impressive pie. Note: I use commercial pie filling which you can purchase at Wholesale clubs. You may need to add sugar if your mix calls for it. This makes a nice "high" pie.
- Ready In:
- 1 fresh lemon
- 3 eggs, separated
- 3⁄4 cup cold water
- 1 1⁄2 cups lemon pie filling mix
- 2 cups hot water
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 6 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 9 inches baked pie crusts
- Note, I use a commercial mix. If you cannot find it, you can follow the directions on your pudding and pie mix package, but add the lemon juice and rind to the mix when it is cooked.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Zest the lemon and set 2 tablespoons of the zest aside.
- Squeeze 2 tablespoons of juice out of the lemon and set aside.
- Place egg whites into mixing bowl and set aside.
- In a large glass bowl, stir together the egg yolks and cold water.
- Mix in the lemon pudding and pie filling powder.
- Stir in the hot water and lemon juice.
- Microwave on high for 4 min's. Add the lemon zest.
- Stir and continue cooking at 2 minute intervals until thick.
- In the meantime, as this is cooking, beat eggs whites until frothy.
- Add the cream of tartar, beat until foamy.
- Gradually add the powdered sugar, beat until stiff peaks form.
- Stir the butter into the hot filling, let rest for 2 minutes.
- Pour into baked shell.
- Spoon the meringue over the filling, ensuring the meringue seals the edges of the pie crust.
- Make swirls and peaks on the meringue.
- Bake for 10 to 12 minute until peaks are browned.
- Cool at room temperature for 1 hour, then chill.
- When cutting, slice through the meringue with a knife wet with hot water.