1/1 Photo of Lemon Cake (From Scratch)
from Movie Menus: Recipes for Perfect Meals with Your Favorite Films by Francine Segan
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 4 large eggs, separated
- 1 lemon (juice of and zest of)
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup milk, at room temperature
- 1Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Butter and flour a 9-inch round pan and set aside.
- 2In a mixing bowl, using an electric mixer set on high speed, blend the butter and the 1 cup granulated sugar together until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes. Add the egg yolks, one at a time, mixing well after each addition. Add the lemon juice, zest, and baking powder and mix well.
- 3Slowly stir in the flour and milk. Mix on low speed until combined.
- 4In another bowl, whip the egg whites with the electric mixer set on high. When the egg whites begin to get frothy, sprinkle with the 2 tablespoons granulated sugar. Continue beating until the egg whites form soft peaks.
- 5Gently stir about one-quarter of the whites into the cake batter to lighten it. Fold in the remaining whites until just combined, being careful not to overmix. Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for about 30 minutes, or until golden and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- 6Allow the cake to cool on a rack in the pan for 10 minutes, then invert onto a serving platter and allow to cool completely.
- 7To make the glaze, whisk together the confectioners' sugar and lemon juice until smooth. Pour half of the glaze over the top of the cooled cake, allowing it to drip down the sides. Allow the cake to stand for 10 minutes, then top with the remaining glaze.
- 8Garnish with the lemon zest and candied violets, if using, and serve.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Lemon Cake (From Scratch)
Serving Size: 1 (190 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 573.6
- Calories from Fat 174
- Total Fat 19.3 g
- Saturated Fat 11.0 g
- Cholesterol 166.1 mg
- Sodium 419.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 93.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.6 g
- Sugars 57.8 g
- Protein 9.2 g