Recipe by JackieOhNo!
A twist on a traditional favorite . I like to serve this as one of my sides dishes at any holiday meal.
Top Review by French Tart
What a delightful gratin recipe - lovely, we both enjoyed this as a main meal by itself, served with salad and bread! I used Raclette cheese instead of Fontina, a local French melting cheese - it has the same properties! The leeks and spring onions were a lovely touch, as were the chives - which came from the garden! My sauce separated a little during cooking - I think it was the excess starch from the potatoes - I might consider par-boiling them in future to extract some of the starch and potato juices out of them. Very tasty indeed - thanks for posting the recipe! Made for Potato and Pasta Photo Tag March 2008 - FT:-)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 1⁄3 cups grated Fontina cheese (about 4 oz.)
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh chives, chopped
- 1 lb leek, light green and white parts only chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 2 cups half-and-half
- 3 lbs potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced (about 6 cups)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F; grease well a 2-1/2 quart casserole or baking dish (I use cooking spray).
- Set aside 1/2 cup of the fontina and 1/2 tablespoon each of the parsley and chives.
- In a large pot over medium heat, melt butter. Add leeks, salt and pepper. Saute until soft, about 4-5 minutes.
- Sprinkle in flour and cook, stirring, for about 30 seconds.
- Whisk in half-and-half and bring to a boil. Cook for a minute or two until mixture thickens. Remove form heat and stir in the remaining parsley, chives, and cheese until the cheese is melted.
- Add potatoes to the sauce and stir until well coated. Transfer to casserole dish and cover with foil. Bake for 1 hour. Remove foil and sprinkle with the remaining cheese. Bake uncovered until cheese is browned and melted and potatoes test for doneness, about 10 minutes. If the potatoes are not tender enough but the cheese is melted, cover with foil again and bake until potatoes are done.
- Sprinkle with reserved parsley and chives.