Recipe by HeatherFeather
This is a tasty, quick, and easy dish to prepare when you have no time to plan for supper. This is so easy to prepare and will please a hungry group of children on a chilly day. You may substitute peas & carrots for the green beans if you prefer. You may also substitute ground lamb for the ground beef, or even leftover minced roasted beef/lamb (in which case just saute the onions alone and mix with the cooked meat). I usually use homemade leftover garlic mashed potatoes in this, but if all you have is instant, well - this is supposed to be a Lazy Mom's dish, so go ahead. I garnish this with a sprinkle of paprika if I am leaving out the cheese. Don't worry about the lack of salt & pepper in the meat - the soup provides all the seasonings and is the "secret" ingredient. Doubles well, and also can be made the day before, chilled and baked the next day for a hot lunch.
Top Review by PugsAndKisses
This dish was GREAT!!! I just HAVE to give it five stars; it is EASY, INEXPENSIVE, and TASTY! I used homemade mashed potatoes; and I put a handfull of shredded cheddar into the potatoes, then a little more on top. Thanks for the recipe!
- 1 lb extra lean ground beef
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 (15 ounce) can green beans, drained (or peas & carrots or mixed leftover veggies)
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can condensed tomato soup
- 3 -4 cups leftover mashed potatoes (or prepare 6 servings instant)
- 1⁄8-1⁄4 cup cheddar cheese, shredded (optional)
- paprika, garnish (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Brown beef and onion together in a large skillet, drain fat.
- Place meat into a medium greased caserole dish (it doesn't matter what shape- you want to be able to have the meat spread in one layer).
- Spread the beans on top.
- Spread the unprepared soup on top of the beans using a spatula.
- Next spread the mashed potatoes over all, sealing edges.
- Sprinkle with cheese, if desired (I often omit).
- Bake, uncovered, in a preheated 350 F or 180 C oven for about 20 minutes, or until bubbling.
- NOTE:If you like, use a fork to make lines in the mashed potatoes (or, you could also pipe the mashed potatoes on top using a decorating bag with a wide star tip if you aren't feeling quite so lazy).