Sweet Potato Cottage Pie
A different twist to Cottage pie. Suitable to freeze.
- Ready In:
- 1hr 5mins
- 3 small potatoes, peeled, chopped (300g)
- 360 g sweet potatoes, peeled, chopped
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 brown onion, chopped
- 400 g lean ground beef
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons gravy, powder
- 1 carrot, grated
- 1 zucchini, grated
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 2 tablespoons skim milk
- Preheat the oven to 180c.
- Cook the potato & sweet potato in a large saucepan of boiling water for 15 mins or until tender.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large, deep non-stick frying pan over medium heat.
- Add the onion.
- Cook, stirring, for 5 mins or until softened.
- Add the beef.
- Cook for 5 mins, breaking up lumps with a wooden spoon.
- Add the tomato pasted and gravy powder.
- Stir to combine.
- Gradually add 2/3 cup of water, stirring continuously.
- Add the carrot and zucchini.
- Bring to the boil and reduce the heat to low.
- Simmer for 10 mins, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the peas.
- Drain the potato & sweet potato.
- Add the milk and mash.
- Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Mash until smooth.
- Transfer the mince mixture to a 1/5L (6-cup) capacity oven proof dish.
- Dollop the mash over the top and spread to cover.
- Rough up the surface with a fork.
- Bake for 25 mins or until slightly browned.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
This recipe got a double wow from us. I had some mashed potatoes/yams to use up so I made this recipe. I may have been alittle short on the quantity but it worked out perfectly for us. I increased the beef abit & used up abit of leftover liquid gravy (for some of the water). I didn't have zucchini in the fridge so I sub'd edamame. I will DEFINATELY make this again & will make sure I have all the ingredients next time, thanks for sharing.Reply
YES YES YES YES YES! TRUE!<br/>THINK am excited about having made this too? lol<br/>This is terrific LOVE is low fat,<br/>Never thought could have Cottage/Shepard's Pie this yummy! HOWZ THAT? :)<br/>MADE IT AGAIN today!! Added a bit of Worcestershire sauce as used 500 grams of mince...Still healthy and YUM!Reply
see 4 more