Prep 10 mins
Cook 35 mins
A great veggie casserole when vegetables are at their peak and you just can't resist all the great produce at the farmers' market.
- 2 medium yellow squash, thinly sliced
- 2 medium zucchini, thinly sliced
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1 large green bell pepper, sliced in strips
- 236.59 ml fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 large tomatoes, sliced
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 29.58 ml butter
- 29.58 ml grated parmesan cheese
- Lightly grease an 8 inch square baking pan (or spray with Pam).
- Layer the vegetables in the order listed, sprinkling each layer with salt and pepper as desired.
- Dot the top with butter, and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
- Bake at 350F for 35 minutes or until crisp-tender.
I'm giving it 5 stars because I made slight changes to it and I hate it when people make changes and then give the recipe less than 5 stars. DUH! Anyway, I loved the idea to get rid of veggies in my fridge but here are my changes and we thought it was great: Someone said that it was plain so I added some chopped garlic, red bell pepper and garlic powder and sprinkled a lot of salt and pepper. Didn't have mushrooms but didn't miss them. I also used cherry tomatoes and chopped them up, put it all in order as the recipe says but put it in a 10x13 in. glass casserole dish (I think a metal baking pan would have been better, this adds more browning) and added almost a half a cup of pats of butter. 2 Tbsp. of butter is just not enough for that many veggies. So I'd say use more butter and parmesan cheese to taste. Ginny thank you for the idea! We liked it!
Very good. I made the recipe as directed. This was quite tasty.
I altered according to some of the other reviewers.
I used olive oil instead of butter (4 T instead of 2). I added 3 cloves of garlic to the oil. I used about 1/4 cup parmesan instead of 2 T.
It needed more than 35 minutes at 375 degrees to be done. I think next time I'll saute the onions for 5 minutes before making it... the onions were a little crunchy even after 45 minutes.
Anyway, a great recipe with great potential and just a few small modifications make it a better recipe. It needs too much tweaking to get 5 stars, but I'll definitely make this again. I look forward to using leftovers today for a veggie sandwich.