Recipe by Chef.Jules
You'll love the surprise inside this delicious, smart-choice pumpkin bread: a creamy center.
Top Review by FrenchBunny
This was absolutely wonderful. I did use regular cream cheese because I can never find neufchatel. I used an immersion blender to blend the cream cheese mixture, the whisk just didn't do it. I love the blend of flavors of this loaf. Thanks for this recipe Chef.Jules. Made for Fall Pac'09
- 1 cup canned pumpkin
- 1 cup granulated sugar, divided
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar, divided
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 4 egg whites, divided
- 1⁄2 cup nonfat milk
- 1⁄4 cup canola oil
- 2 cups flour
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder (I like Calumet brand)
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 (8 ounce) package neufchatel cheese, softened (Philadelphia brand, 1/3 Less Fat than Cream Cheese)
Directions See How It's Made
- PREHEAT oven to 350ºF.
- Grease a nonstick 9x5-inch loaf pan; set aside.
- Mix pumpkin, 1 cup granulated sugar, the brown sugar, 3 of the egg whites, milk and oil in large bowl.
- Add flour, baking powder, pie spice and salt; stir just until moistened.
- Set aside.
- Beat Neufchatel cheese, remaining 2 tablespoons granulated sugar and the remaining egg white with wire whisk until well blended.
- SPOON half of the pumpkin batter into prepared pan; spoon Neufchatel cheese mixture evenly over the batter.
- Cover with remaining pumpkin batter.
- BAKE 1 hour to 1 hour 5 minute or until wooden toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Run knife or thin spatula around edges of pan to loosen bread; cool in pan on wire rack 10 minute
- Remove bread from pan to wire rack; cool completely.