Recipe by MarthaStewartWanabe
This recipe reminds me of those big, fun family dinners we used to have when I was a kid. This is one of my favorite recipes of my grandmother's. The layers consist of a nutty baked bottom crust, creamy cheesecake-like center and top layer of pistachio pudding. If desired, you could also use any other flavor of pudding mix. Yummy!
Top Review by Chefsalad
This recipe reminds me of my childhood! To make it a little easier, I generally use a crust of crushed Nilla wafers mixed with melted butter or a graham cracker crust. I also only use half the sugar for the cream cheese layer to make it a little less sweet and let the cream cheese flavor stand out.
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 3⁄4 cup butter, melted
- 1 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1 (8 ounce) container Cool Whip
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 (8 ounce) packages pistachio pudding mix
- 3 cups milk
Directions See How It's Made
- Press first three ingredients into a 13" x 9" pan and bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes. Allow to cool thoroughly.
- Beat Cool Whip, cream cheese and confectionery sugar with electric mixer; spread over cooled crust.
- Beat pudding mix and milk well with electric mixer on low setting. Let mixture stand until set. Then carefully spread over cream cheese layer.
- Cover and refrigerate for one hour. Slice into 2" x 2" pieces.
- Store refrigerated for up to five days.