Recipe by yooper
I got this out of a "Taste of Home" Christmas issue a few years back. The lady who submitted this was Jewish, and this was her entree for her Hanukkah meal. I'm not Jewish, but I love lamb, and this recipe is a winner! The sweetness of the citrus fruits and the the heat from the spices really stand out!
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 29.58 ml olive oil or 29.58 ml vegetable oil
- 1 boneless lamb shoulder, cubed (2-1/2 to 3 pounds)
- 4.92 ml ground cumin
- 4.92 ml cinnamon
- 4.92 ml coriander
- salt and pepper
- 118.29 ml dried apricot, halved
- 59.14 ml orange juice
- 14.79 ml ground almonds
- 2.46 ml orange zest
- 295.73 ml chicken broth
- 14.79 ml sesame seeds, toasted
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large skillet, saute onion in oil until tender.
- Add the lamb, cumin, cinnamon, coriander, salt and pepper.
- Cook and stir for 5 minutes, or until meat is browned.
- Add apricots, orange juice, almonds and orange peel.
- Transfer to a 2-1/2 quart baking dish.
- Stir in broth.
- Cover and bake at 350 for 1-1/2 hours or until meat is tender.
- Sprinkle with sesame seeds.