Recipe by huskiebear
North African spices with a basic meat stew recipe from Cook's Illustrated The Best Recipe (aka The Kitchen Bible). I made this for a holiday party to break in my new cast iron dutch oven and everyone loved it. I needed a hotter oven after 2 hours and the lamb wasn't tender yet, but I moved it to the stovetop (covered) and simmered it for another 40 minutes or so and it became wonderfully tender, yet not stringy or dry. I got nothing but raves (and very few leftovers!) on this one! Notes: I used 1.5 cans each of diced tomatoes and chick peas. I browned the lamb in three batches instead of two to keep from overcrowding my 5 qt. dutch oven. Kept warm all afternoon by simmering on the stove on low. I used fresh ginger (about 1 Tbl) and no parsley or cilantro. Could have probably used a bit of salt at the end.
Top Review by Melsie
this is an excellent got 'lamb and a tin of chickpeas what should I cook' recipe. I used our slow cooker too. I made it for 4-5 people ( so 680grms lamb).I followed the recipe but used a can of tomatoes and alittle stock ( maybe 1/4 cup) and transfered the simmered tomatoes to the lamb waiting in the slow cooker. On low for about 5-6 hrs perfect!
- 3 lbs lamb shoulder, trimmed and cut into 1 . 5 in cubes
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 medium onions, chopped coarsely (about 2 cups)
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups low sodium chicken broth or 1 1⁄2 cups homemade chicken stock
- 1 1⁄2 cups canned tomatoes with juice
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 15 ounces chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1⁄4 cup fresh parsley, minced or 1⁄4 cup fresh cilantro
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 250.
- Toss lamb with salt and pepper. Heat 2 Tbls oil in dutch oven over medium high heat. Brown lamb on all sides in two batches. Set aside on plate.
- Add onions to Dutch oven and saute until softened. Add garlic and cook an additional 30s.
- Stir in flour and cook until lightly colored (1-2 min).
- Add stock and deglaze pan.
- Add tomatoes and spices and bring to simmer before adding lamb and returing to simmer.
- Cover and place in oven until meat is almost tender (1 3/4 - 2 1/4 hours).
- Add chickpeas and return to oven until meat is tender and chicpeas are heated through (about 15 min).
- Can be cooled, covered and refrigerated up tp 3 days before reheating on stovetop.
- Stir in parsley, discard bay leaves and adjust seasoning just before serving.