2 hrs 30 mins
North African spices with a basic meat stew recipe from Cook's Illustrated The Best Recipe (aka The Kitchen Bible). I made this for a holiday party to break in my new cast iron dutch oven and everyone loved it. I needed a hotter oven after 2 hours and the lamb wasn't tender yet, but I moved it to the stovetop (covered) and simmered it for another 40 minutes or so and it became wonderfully tender, yet not stringy or dry. I got nothing but raves (and very few leftovers!) on this one! Notes: I used 1.5 cans each of diced tomatoes and chick peas. I browned the lamb in three batches instead of two to keep from overcrowding my 5 qt. dutch oven. Kept warm all afternoon by simmering on the stove on low. I used fresh ginger (about 1 Tbl) and no parsley or cilantro. Could have probably used a bit of salt at the end.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 lbs lamb shoulder, trimmed and cut into 1 . 5 in cubes
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 medium onions, chopped coarsely (about 2 cups)
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 1/2 cups low sodium chicken broth or 1 1/2 cups homemade chicken stock
- 1 1/2 cups canned tomatoes with juice
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 15 ounces chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, minced or 1/4 cup fresh cilantro
- 1Heat oven to 250.
- 2Toss lamb with salt and pepper. Heat 2 Tbls oil in dutch oven over medium high heat. Brown lamb on all sides in two batches. Set aside on plate.
- 3Add onions to Dutch oven and saute until softened. Add garlic and cook an additional 30s.
- 4Stir in flour and cook until lightly colored (1-2 min).
- 5Add stock and deglaze pan.
- 6Add tomatoes and spices and bring to simmer before adding lamb and returing to simmer.
- 7Cover and place in oven until meat is almost tender (1 3/4 - 2 1/4 hours).
- 8Add chickpeas and return to oven until meat is tender and chicpeas are heated through (about 15 min).
- 9Can be cooled, covered and refrigerated up tp 3 days before reheating on stovetop.
- 10Stir in parsley, discard bay leaves and adjust seasoning just before serving.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Lamb Stew With Tomatoes, Chickpeas and Spices
Serving Size: 1 (283 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 606.5
- Calories from Fat 385
- Total Fat 42.7 g
- Saturated Fat 16.6 g
- Cholesterol 122.5 mg
- Sodium 821.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 22.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.9 g
- Sugars 3.1 g
- Protein 32.9 g