Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
Another I found on the net. It looks like a good one for lamb and curry lovers.
- 700 g lean diced lamb
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon garam masala
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground turmeric
- 25 ml white vinegar
- 50 ml vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 3 cm fresh ginger, finely chopped
- 1 large red chile, deseeded and chopped
- 1 tablespoon crushed garlic
- 150 g tomato paste
- 500 ml stock
- 2 large ripe tomatoes, diced
- 1 bunch fresh coriander
- 1⁄2 lemon
- 100 g Baby Spinach
- 250 g natural yoghurt
- 1 bunch of fresh mint, chopped
- Place the diced lamb in a bowl; add all the dried spices and white vinegar and toss through.
- In a large saucepan, heat the oil and fry the onion, fresh ginger, fresh chilli and crushed garlic.
- When lightly browned, add the marinated lamb and stir well until lamb has begun to fry.
- Add the tomato paste, stock, diced tomatoes and the juice of ½ the lemon, season well with salt and pepper.
- Bring to the boil, stirring occasionally, and then reduce to a gentle simmer.
- Chop the coriander stems and add to the curry.
- Simmer for approximately 1 hour, taking care to stir every 10 minutes or so to prevent sticking.
- When all the liquid has almost evaporated and the curry has thickened, add the spinach and natural yoghurt and stir through.
- Sprinkle over chopped coriander leaves and mint and serve with Basmati rice.
This was awesome.. I even had my son say.. You know my favourite curry mum you make with the coconut rice, I still love the coconut rice but can you make this curry recipe to go over it.. It was particularly special.. I made as is, tasted it and it was good but we prefer a bit more heat so added some extra chili to it.. I also made a small bowl of yoghurt which I added some mint to just to put a spoonful over the top, again preference.. The actual curry itself is one of the best we have tasted from scratch curry's.. I mean I can cook and have made curry's before never using the yoghurt in the curry always just over the top.. yum.. Most of the time though I have resorted to jars as they have so much flavour and when I have made from scratch recipes they have been so bland.. Not this one at all it was seriously awesome and a curry that has leapfrogged into our all time favourite curry.. A huge thumbs up from the entire family Jan!!! A Definite Keeper For Us...
Fantastic lamb curry recipe, definitely a keeper!! I'm of Indian descent and I've tried lots of variations but this one was my favorite!! Only thing i did differently was replace the lemon with lime, and the tomato paste with pureed canned tomato (just a few tablespoons). Absolutely delicious!