This recipe is from Executive Chef Remy Schaal of la Madeleine French Bakery & Cafe. Founded in Dallas in 1983, la Madeleine has many neighborhood cafes and bakeries in five states and Washington, D.C. Excellent potato soup!
- In a large saucepan, add butter, leeks and onions, and cook.
- (Do not brown vegetables.) Add chicken stock, potatoes, salt and fresh thyme.
- Cook for 40 minutes over medium heat, stirring frequently to avoid scorching.
- Add cream, bring to a boil and serve hot.
- Garnish with Cheddar cheese and diced bacon.
What a wonderful copycat! I was cooking for a crowd so had to triple the recipe, and it still turned out lovely. I made two small adjustments. First, I removed the thyme before adding the cream. I accidentally added too many sprigs and was afraid of it being overpowering. Second, I pureed the soup in my blender before serving. I had to do it in small batches, removing the center piece from the blender's lid and covering the hole with a cloth to allow the steam to escape. It resulted in a wonderful, creamy texture. My friends and family really enjoyed this. I'll be making it again!
This recipe tastes nothing like La Madeleine's potato soup. I was highly disappointed. It was, perhaps, the most bland soup I've ever eaten.
This is exactly how it taste at LaMadeline! I LOVE it!!!!!!