Prep 20 mins
Cook 35 mins
I had been going to this Mexican restaurant, "La Hacienda," forever. I always ordered the huge bowl of chicken soup. I was shocked to hear that they were closing the restaurant, so I had to make my own makeshift version of the authentic classic. Enjoy!
- 3 -4 chicken breasts, cubed
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes with green chilies
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 8 cups low sodium chicken broth
- salt and pepper (to taste)
- 3 tablespoons jalapenos, chopped (i use the ones in jars)
- 2 limes, cut into wedges (or lime juice)
- In a large pot, add everything but the rice and limes. Cook on high heat, bringing the soup to a boil for about 30 minutes.
- Turn the heat down to low and simmer; add the rice and stir as little as possible until you're ready to eat.
- Optional: add avocado chunks into the soup and stir.
- Enjoy! When ready to eat, serve the soup with juiced lime wedges. The juice adds a good flavor to the soup! =).
Love this soup made as posted garnished with salted tortilla strips and cilantro thank you