Prep 5 mins
Cook 5 mins
From "Nigella Kitchen" episode 2.
- 1 cup sushi rice
- 6 baby squid, cleaned
- 2 tablespoons shaoxing rice wine or 2 tablespoons sake
- 2 tablespoons gochujang chili paste
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 2 teaspoons peanut oil
- 6 baby corn or 1⁄4 lb green beans, cut in 1/2-inch pieces
- 3 large scallions, sliced
- Prepare rice according to package directions.
- Slice the calamari bodies into thin rings. Toss rings and tentacles with rice wine. After 15 minutes, remove calamari from wine.
- To bowl with wine, add gochujang, sugar and sesame oil. Stir well.
- Over medium-high heat, heat peanut oil in a heavy skillet. When it smokes, add corn (or green beans) and scallions. Stir-fry 2 minutes. Add squid and stir-fry until opaque, about 2 minutes. Add sauce and stir until piping hot, 30-60 seconds.
- Divide rice between two bowls. Divide squid and sauce between bowls and serve.