Plan ahead the brisket or ribs will need to marinate in the spice rub for 24 hours or more --- this recipe is for a 5-7 pound beef brisket, if you are making a larger one then double all ingredients --- servings and cooking time are only estimated depending on the size of your brisket --- I use my Kittencal's Famous Barbecue Sauce for Chicken and Ribs for this, you may use you own favorite sauce.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2267.96-3175.14 g beef brisket
- 3-4 onions, chopped
- 29.58-44.37 ml minced fresh garlic
- 1500.0 ml bottle favorite barbecue sauce (you can even use more BBQ sauce if you desire!)
- 236.59 ml water
- 1A day ahead: Grease a large roaster or a roasting pan (I use my large lasagna pan for this).
- 2Sprinkle the chopped onions in the bottom of the pan.
- 3In a small bowl or cup mix together all rub ingredients.
- 4Rinse brisket under cold water, then dry with a paper towel.
- 5Rub the brisket lightly with vegetable or Canola oil.
- 6Rub the minced garlic and rub spices over both sides of the brisket, then place into the roaster pan/dish (fat-side down).
- 7Pour the barbecue sauce over the top of the brisket, do not rub into the meat, as it will disturb the rub spices, just leave the sauce sitting on top of the brisket, some will drizzle over the sides, not to worry!.
- 8Cover tightly with foil and place in the fridge.
- 9The following morning turn the brisket over to fat side up.
- 10Add in the 1 cup water and mix with the sauce in the pan (just mix together the best you can, it does not have to be completely mixed with the BBQ sauce, it will all cook together).
- 11With clean hands, rub the sauce all over the top of the brisket.
- 12Cover very tighty (if using foil make a couple of slits in the top of the foil to let steam escape) return to the fridge until ready to cook (for at least another 2 hours.
- 13Set oven to 325 degrees.
- 14Remove from the roaster from fridge (preperably 1 hour before cooking and leave on the counter).
- 15Cook for a about 4-5 hours or more depending on the size of your brisket, or until the brisket is tender (check for doneness after about 3 hours cooking, by inserting a fork into the brisket the meat will be done if the fork goes in very easily).
- 16Remove and let the brisket sit for 15 minutes before sliceing, then slice against the grain.
- 17Spoon any fat that has accumulated on top of the sauce, and serve the sauce on the side.
Browse Our Top Meat Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Meat Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Kittencal's Beef Brisket (Or Beef Short Ribs)
Serving Size: 1 (374 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 624.8
- Calories from Fat 161
- Total Fat 17.9 g
- Saturated Fat 5.9 g
- Cholesterol 140.6 mg
- Sodium 2217.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 64.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.8 g
- Sugars 44.7 g
- Protein 48.2 g