1 hr 20 mins
In 'From a Southern Oven' by Jean Anderson
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 small yellow onion, finely chopped
- 2 large garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 (8 ounce) package sliced white mushrooms (halve large slices) or 1 (8 ounce) package baby bella mushrooms (halve large slices)
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons sour cream (blend the milk and sour cream together)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, taste
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 8 corn tortillas, softened
- 3 1/2 cups diced cooked chicken
- 1 (16 ounce) jar salsa
- 1 1/2 cups coarsely grated mild cheddar cheese
- 1Preheat oven to 350°.
- 2Spritz a 12 x 7 1/2 inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray; set aside.
- 3Melt butter in a large heavy skillet over medium heat; add onion and garlic, and cook, stirring occasionally, 2-3 minutes until limp and golden.
- 4Add mushrooms, cayenne, and cumin and cook, stirring occasionally, 6-8 minutes until mushrooms release their juices and most of these evaporate.
- 5Blend in flour and cook and stir 1 minute ; add broth, milk mixture, salt, and black pepper and cook, stirring constantly, about 3 minutes until thickened.
- 6Cover bottom of baking dish with 4 tortillas, then layer remaining ingredients in dish this way, each time spreading to cover layer below: half diced chicken, one-third mushroom mixture, half salsa, half cheese, then half remaining mushroom mixture, the remaining tortillas, chicken, salsa, cheese, and finish with remaining mushroom mixture.
- 7Slide onto the middle oven rack and bake uncovered, 30-35 minutes until bubbling and tipped with brown.
- 8Serve at once with a tartly dressed green salad; or spinach bacon salad.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for King Ranch Chicken
Serving Size: 1 (333 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 441.6
- Calories from Fat 211
- Total Fat 23.4 g
- Saturated Fat 12.2 g
- Cholesterol 111.1 mg
- Sodium 1008.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 25.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.9 g
- Sugars 4.2 g
- Protein 33.5 g