King Ranch Chicken
photo by sassykat1213
- Ready In:
- 1 (14 ounce) package tortillas
- chicken stock
- 1 large chicken, boiled and pulled from bones
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 (10 ounce) can Ro-Tel tomatoes
- 1⁄2 lb grated cheddar cheese
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can cream of chicken soup
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic salt (optional)
- Soak tortillas in chicken stock just until wilted.
- Cut chicken into bite size pieces.
- Alternate the following layers into a 9x13 pan.
- tortillas, chicken, onion and cheese.
- Sprinkle chili powder and garlic salt over top.
- Spread undiluted soups over top of chicken, tortilla layers.
- Spread Ro-Tel tomatoes over top of soups.
- Bake at 350°F for 30 to 40 minutes.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
My church cookbook has the same recipe, but with 1 green pepper in it. I saute the onion and green pepper. My recipe has the soup, tomatoes, green pepper, onion, chili powder and garlic salt together as well and makes it much easier. I don't use the chili powder so that it is not quite as spicy. If you get freshly made tortillas, you don't have to soak them!
I made this today and my husband and I really enjoyed it. My husband especially! The only thing I did different is cheated a lil and got a rotisserie chicken and used that. I also added some cumin. The reason I gave it 4 stars is because my toddler wouldn't eat it because it was too spicy. Other than that, it has been added to my recipes! Thanks for the good recipe.
it was delicious! i live in the middle east, and we don't always get ro tel tomatoes, so i just used a can of green chiles and a can of cut up whole tomatoes. i used a tablespoon of chili powder and combined all the ingredients together except the tortillas--excellent!!! and it was sooooo easy! thanks a bunch for the recipe!!!
see 6 more reviews
This was fantastic!! I used to eat this when I went to college in Texas, and this tastes just like I remember. I too combined everything and thought it tasted great. Instead of using a whole chicken, I use 4-5 very large chicken breasts cooked and cut up. I also enjoy adding crushed chips on top of the entire dish for a little crunch. I used low carb tortillas as well and it turned out fine. This is a staple for me.