1/1 Photo of Kinda Amish Macaroni Salad
Why only "kinda" Amish? Good question - shows you're paying attention. While the recipe from which this was adapted proudly proclaimed to be Amish Macaroni Salad, I found it to be much too sweet and not eggy enough for our tastes. After playing a bit with proportions and trying different types of vinegar and mustard, this is what resulted -- and although it's only Kinda Amish, it is, indeed, Very Deelish. You may save one hard cooked egg and slice it to arrange on the top, then sprinkle with paprika. Or you can just put all of the eggs in the salad and mix in some paprika too, and garnish with a few little tufts of fresh parsley. Or, for the presentationally-impaired like myself, just use all the eggs right in the salad, and forget the paprika and parsley. Parsley's always a little bit suspicious in my book anyway - once I got some parsley from a salad bar and it was plastic. Yeah, it was part of the decoration, but you know, they could warn people. "Attention Restaurant Patrons: Salad Bar Decorations Are Non-Edible. Everything Else Is Okay To Eat. No, Really. We Mean It." Oh, by the way, you'll want to prepare this a day ahead, and chill overnight in a padlocked refrigerator. Otherwise, it'll vanish long before you planned to serve it.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup distilled white vinegar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons prepared yellow mustard (no other kind will taste right!)
- 1 lb elbow macaroni
- 1/2 cup celery, chopped fine
- 1/2 cup carrot, chopped fine
- 1/4 cup onion, chopped fine
- 8 -10 hardboiled egg, diced (big chunks are okay by me, but chop them small if you like)
- paprika or parsley (optional)
- 1Combine mayonnaise, vinegar, sugar and mustard; Chill in refrigerator until needed.
- 2Cook macaroni as directed on package, just until tender; drain and cool.
- 3Combine macaroni with celery, carrots, onions and eggs.
- 4Pour mayonnaise mixture over all and stir to mix well.
- 5Refrigerate overnight in tightly sealed container.
- 6It may seem a bit wet at first, but after it chills overnight, it's just right.
- 7There's no salt in this recipe-- if you must, add 1/2 teaspoon to the mayonnaise mixture.
- 8We're not sodium restricted and we like it just fine without.
Browse Our Top Elbow Macaroni Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Elbow Macaroni Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Kinda Amish Macaroni Salad
Serving Size: 1 (81 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 20
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 226.9
- Calories from Fat 91
- Total Fat 10.1 g
- Saturated Fat 1.8 g
- Cholesterol 71.7 mg
- Sodium 211.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 28.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.9 g
- Sugars 7.6 g
- Protein 5.5 g