Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
Adapted from a recipe at http://bit.ly/gacXVm
- 1 shallot, peeled and quartered
- 4 large garlic cloves
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- kosher salt, to taste
- 1 1⁄2 lbs Brussels sprouts, trimmed and halved
- 1 1⁄3 tablespoons pure olive oil, divided
- 1 lb kielbasa, cut on the bias into 1/4-inch slices
- 2 tablespoons coarse Dijon mustard
- 1⁄4 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup white kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- ground black pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 400°F Form a small pouch from a folded piece of aluminum foil; fill with shallot, garlic, 2 tbsp olive oil and salt. Seal pouch and bake in preheated oven 30 minutes, until tender. Transfer to a bowl and mash with a fork; set aside.
- Place a steamer insert in a pot and add water to just below the insert. Cover and bring water to a boil. Add Brussels sprout to steamer insert. Re-cover and steam 2-6 minutes, until tender-crisp.
- Heat 1 tsp olive oil in a large, deep skillet over medium-high heat until shimmering. Place kielbasa into skillet, cut sides down, and cook, turning once, until brown and crispy on both sides, about 3 minutes per side. Remove kielbasa with a slotted spoon, leaving the fat in the pan; transfer to a paper-towel lined plate.
- Add remaining 1 tbsp oil to pan. Add mashed shallot and garlic and cook about 1 minute until fragrant. Add mustard and cream and stir well. Reduce heat to medium-low, add kidney beans and Brussels sprouts, and cook until heated through. Toss to coat with sauce; season with salt and pepper as needed. Transfer to a serving dish and top with kielbasa.