My revised reverse-engineered recipe for KFC's gravy.
Make and share this KFC Gravy (Copycat) recipe from Food.com.
- 2 cups cold filtered water
- 2⁄3 cup cold nonfat milk
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons Kitchen Bouquet
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 drop sesame oil
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons chicken bouillon powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder (not onion salt)
- 3⁄8 teaspoon paprika
- 3⁄8 teaspoon seasoning (Bulk KFC Original Recipe Seasoning (Copycat))
- 1⁄4 teaspoon celery salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground sage
- 1⁄4 teaspoon seasoning salt (Lawry's)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon Accent seasoning
- 1 pinch ground thyme
- 3 tablespoons vegetable shortening
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- NOTE: THIS RECIPE REQUIRES 3/8 TEASPOON OF MY Recipe #453973. BEFORE ADDING THE SESAME OIL TO THE BROTH, DISPENSE 1 SMALL DROP INTO A SPOON FIRST, TO AVOID EXCESS SPILLAGE.
- WHISK together the LIQUID INGREDIENTS in a large bowl.
- MIX together the DRY INGREDIENTS in a another bowl.
- QUICKLY whisk the DRY INGREDIENTS into the LIQUID INGREDIENTS, until thoroughly dissolved.
- MELT 3 tablespoons vegetable shortening in a medium saucepan over low heat; STIR in 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour; COOK the ROUX ingredients slowly over medium-low heat until just bubbly (do not brown roux!).
- POUR the blended broth mixture into the roux in saucepan; WHISK until mixture is thoroughly blended.
- BRING gravy mixture to a boil while whisking constantly; BOIL one minute; REDUCE heat.
- SIMMER until gravy deepens in color and desired consistency is reached, whisking as needed.
- REMOVE gravy from heat and allow to cool slightly before serving, stirring a often to avoid a skin from forming on surface.
- SERVE and enjoy!
good brown gravy, that was good!
Made this gravy tonight along with Kfc Crispy Strips. It did taste somewhat like KFC gravy. It was on the spicy side and I have a feeling I'm going to be real thirsty later on. I probably will make this gravy occasionally along with the KFC chicken strips. I would recommend others to try this.