Bulk KFC Original Recipe Seasoning (Copycat)
photo by The Spice Guru
- Ready In:
6 batches fried chicken
BASE MIXTURE (READ ALL NOTES)
- 2⁄3 cup nonfat dry milk powder
- 9 tablespoons fine sea salt
- 4 tablespoons egg white powder (cornstarch okay)
- 2 tablespoons Accent seasoning (optional)
- 1⁄2 tablespoon garlic powder
11 SECRET HERBS AND SPICES
- 10 tablespoons ground peppercorns (6 Tbsps black, plus 4 tbsps white)
- 4 tablespoons dalmatian ground sage
- 3 tablespoons sweet paprika
- 2 tablespoons ground coriander
- 2 tablespoons ground ginger
- 1 tablespoon celery salt
- 1 tablespoon ground savory
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground allspice
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cardamom
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground parsley
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground vanilla beans
- NOTES: FOR AUTHENTIC RESULTS, PREPARE RECIPE EXACTLY AS DIRECTED. MSG (ACCENT SEASONING) IS IN THE ACTUAL ORIGINAL RECIPE, BUT MAY BE OMITTED IF NECESSARY. EGG WHITE POWDER IS SOLD IN HEALTH FOOD STORES. YOU MAY SUBSTITUTE EGG WHITE POWDER WITH CORNSTARCH. FINELY GRIND REQUIRED HERBS AND SPICES SEPARATELY IN A CLEAN SPICE MILL OR COFFEE GRINDER. USE A PEPPER MILL TO MEDIUM-GRIND TELLICHERRY PEPPERCORNS. I RECOMMEND MCCORMICK BRAND TELLICHERRY BLACK PEPPER AND GROUND GINGER, SPICE ISLANDS BRAND GROUND SAGE AND CARDAMOM, SPICE APPEAL BRAND GROUND SAVORY, AND WILLIAMS-SONOMA BRAND GROUND TAHITIAN VANILLA BEAN.
- MEASURE the BASE MIXTURE and 11 SECRET HERBS AND SPICES into a large re-sealable container (this includes the prepared BARBECUE SEASONING recipe).
- BREAK up any clumps (and dry milk powder) using the back of a spoon.
- SEAL the container.
- SHAKE container to mix well.
- STORE container sealed and store in a cool dry place.
- WHEN ready to use, measure 1/2 level cup of this mixture plus 2 cups unbleached breading flour into a large re-sealable container.
- SEAL the container with flour and seasoning; SHAKE well until thoroughly combined.
- FOLLOW link to Recipe #393795 for complete brining, preparation and frying instructions (skipping its STEP #3 since you've already done this).
Questions & Replies
My friend, you have nailed it!!! Yet again!!! My eldest son has told me that he will make good use of any of the bulk mix left over that I don't use ~ haha! I have forwarded him the recipe! Very nice, and I think that perhaps this is the one that I was hoping for since the last one I reviewed went MIA. This is as close to KFC as I've had without actually stealing a broken bag of mix! :) You are truly the "Spice Guru" and I bow to you! Keep up the good work!