Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
A delicious pie my mom used to make.
- 1⁄2 cup quick-cooking oats or 1⁄2 cup old fashioned oats
- 1 (6 ounce) package semi-sweet chocolate chips (1 cup)
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup margarine, melted
- 1 cup corn syrup
- 2 tablespoons Bourbon (optional)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup egg substitute
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 cup pecan halves or 1⁄2 cup broken pecans
Best Flaky Pastry
- 1 cup Gold Medal all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄3 cup shortening or 1⁄3 cup lard, plus
- 1 tablespoon shortening or 1 tablespoon lard
- 2 -3 tablespoons cold water
- Heat oven to 375ºF.
- Make Best Flaky Pastry.
- Beat sugar, margarine, corn syrup, bourbon, salt and egg product in large bowl with hand beater.
- Stir in pecans, oats and chocolate chips.
- Pour into pastry-lined pie plate.
- Cover edge with 2-to 3-inch strip of aluminum foil to prevent excessive browning; remove foil during last 15 minutes of baking.
- Bake 40 to 50 minutes or until set.
- Cool 30 minutes.
- Refrigerate about 2 hours until chilled.
- Mix flour and salt in medium bowl.
- Cut in shortening, using pastry blender or crisscrossing 2 knives, until particles are size of small peas.
- Sprinkle with cold water, 1 tablespoon at a time, tossing with fork until all flour is moistened and pastry almost leaves side of bowl (1 to 2 teaspoons more water can be added if necessary).
- Gather pastry into a ball.
- Shape into flattened round on lightly floured surface.
- Roll pastry, using floured rolling pin, into circle 2 inches larger than upside-down pie plate, 9x1 1/4 inches.
- Fold pastry into fourths; place in pie plate.
- Unfold and ease into plate, pressing firmly against bottom and side.
- Trim overhanging edge of pastry 1 inch from rim of pie plate.
- Fold and roll pastry under, even with plate; flute as desired.
This recipe kicks! I just ate my first piece and it is to die for, thanks to your mum! I used 3 eggs, doubled the oats and nuts, and used maple syrup instead of corn syrup. Didn't use bourbon as I didn't have any, but will do it next time. It is a keeper, and I will definitely make this again.