Prep 1 hr
Cook 2 hrs
These meat free sandwich fillings are better than the kind in the store because you can choose your own spices & use your favorite veggies & nuts.They have a rich roasted flavor that we love in pita pockets & in grilled sandwiches. We are not vegitarians; we eat these because they are yummy.
- 5 1⁄4 cups water
- 4 -5 bouillon cubes (to taste)
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1 cup dried kasha (toasted buckwheat grouts)
- 3 1⁄2 cups rolled oats (not quick oats)
- 2 tablespoons dry onion flakes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry oregano leaves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 cups shredded assorted fresh vegetables
- 1⁄2 an onion, minced
- 1 garlic clove, minced (optional)
- 1 (6 ounce) can mushrooms (drained & minced)
- 4 -6 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 1⁄4 cup sunflower seeds or 1⁄4 cup finely chopped nuts
- 1⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese or 1⁄4 cup vegan mozzarella cheese or 1⁄4 cup vegan mozzarella cheese
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- salt & pepper
- veg. oil cooking spray or melted butter, & pastry brush
- cookie sheets lightly greased & coated with cornmeal (prevents sticking) or semolina flour (prevents sticking)
- I like to make this a two day project, the first day I cook the grain mixture & put into the frig over night. The second day I make the veggie mixture & bake the burgers.
- In a large heavy bottom sauce pan bring the 5 and 1/4C water to a BOIL.
- ADD bullion cubes, onion flakes,1/2 tsp dry oregano leaves,1/2 tsp onion powder,1/2 tsp garlic powder.
- STIR into boiling water 1C kasha, 3 and 1/2C oats and 1/4C olive oil
- SIMMER for aprox. 15 minute stirring frequently, until a very thick sticky mixture is formed.
- REMOVE from heat and set aside to cool, overnight or until mostly cool.
- HEAT canola oil in Sauté pan over medium heat. Sauté onions & Garlic for about 2 min (stir frequently).
- ADD shredded veggies. Sauté until soft.
- ADD Sesame & Sunflower seeds & minced mushrooms, sauté for 5 more min (stir frequently).
- (Optional) MIX in any favorite seasoning you may wish to use.
- In a large bowl MIX veggie mixture & oat mixture until it is thoroughly blended.
- COVER & Let stand for 1 hour in fridge. (Be sure both mixtures cool enough to handle comfortably.).
- PREPARE cooking sheet with oil (or cooking spray), and coat with corn meal or semolina flour (prevents sticking).
- SCOOP out mixture using 1/2 Cup measure to form patties, place on cookie sheet, spray top of each patty with cooking spray or paint with melted butter.
- Bake at 400 for 25 to 35 minute or until light golden brown.(time may differ depending on veggies and nuts used, slightly crips on outside and soft on inside).
- Cool on a cookie cooling rack if not serving immediately.
- Garden burgers can be wrapped individually, then frozen & reheated in a toaster oven or microwave or in a dry skillet.Do not add oil when rehating it will cause burgers to fall apart.