Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
A good rendition guaranteed not to cause a fuss!
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1⁄2 cup Italian breadcrumbs, separated
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 medium fresh garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄4 cup salted butter, softened
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- Preheat oven to 350 Degrees.
- In large mixing bowl, combine beef, turkey, egg, garlic, olive oil, half of the softened butter, and sugar.
- With clean hands, knead the ingredients together, squeezing it between your fingers, and fists, until it is completely blended and has an almost paste-like consistancy.
- Add 1/2 of the breadcrumbs, and knead again, making sure it is well blended. If it is too wet (sticks to your hands and smears, instead of lightly plopping off) add the remaining crumbs, mixing well. Do not let it get too dry, though, because the turkey sucks up a lot of moisture. It still needs to be sticky.
- Using shortening or salted butter, grease a deep loaf pan, or a standard 9x9" glass brownie dish.
- Press a handful of mixture into the bottom so it is nice and dense, and continue to layer handfuls until all of the mixture is in the pan.
- Using your hands, press the top smooth and then poke numerous holes with a fork all over.
- Spoon half of the tomato paste on the the meatloaf and spread like frosting.
- Place in oven and let cook for about 45 mins, pulling it out every 15 mins to drain excess fat.
- Spoon remainder of tomato paste and "frost" the meatloaf. Cook in the oven for an additional 20 mins, and then cut down the middle to check if its done. If the meat is firm and no longer pink, than it's probably done, but for safety reasons always use a thermometer to check if its 150 degrees.
- Serve with Skin-on red mashed potatoes and green beans almondine, or all alone!