Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
Kahlua-mmmmmmmm, dates-great, nuts-yummy. When I saw this recipe I had to try it immediately. Slice thinly, enjoy with a cup of tea or maybe even with a small glass of Kahlua.
- 236.59 ml pitted dates, chopped
- 118.29 ml Kahlua
- 4.92 ml grated orange rind
- 158.51 ml firmly packed brown sugar
- 29.58 ml margarine
- 1 large egg
- 473.18 ml flour
- 4.92 ml baking soda
- 4.92 ml salt
- 158.51 ml chopped nuts (any choice)
- 118.29 ml warm water
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Grease a large loaf pan (10x3x3inch).
- Mix dates, Kahlua, water and orange peel.
- Let stand and soak while preparing batter.
- Cream sugar, margarine and egg together until fluffy.
- Sift flour with baking soda and salt.
- Add to creamed mixture, alternately, with date mixture.
- Stir in nuts.
- Turn into prepared pan.
- Let stand 5 minutes.
- Bake for 60 to 70 minutes.
Delicious bread and with it's hint of chocolate from the Kahlua, the background taste of citrus and the sweetness of the dates -- you can't go wrong. The bread is not overly sweet and we liked that -- it was a little crusty on top, but was nice and moist inside despite the absence of oil or more butter. Will definitely make again! Made for Sweet December tag, December, 2013.
I loved using Kahlua in this recipe, and how there is no oil and minimal margarine (I used butter). I used 1/2 cup dates and 1/2 cups raisins which worked great. I also added shredded coconut on top before baking, it gives it a great flavor and slight crunch on top. If you like coconut, I think adding coconut to the mixture would be divine! I left out the orange rind because I don't like the orange flavor in my baked goods.
This is awesome! I love it. The kahlua gives it a bit of roasted flavor. You can see the only substantial fat is in the 2TBL of margerine and that's nothing compared to most bread recipes. This is one of my new favorite breads!!! I actually only made it to use up some dried pitted dates I had and loved it so much I had to go buy some more dates! Thanks for sharing!!!