Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is my mother's recipe with a couple of minor alterations. These pot pies went out to many people in her church when they were sick or lost a loved one -- the perfect comfort food to have at home and/or to share with others.
- 4 frozen pie crusts
- 354.88 ml cooked chicken (can use boiled, canned, leftovers from rotisserie chicken, etc)
- 118.29 ml shredded cheddar cheese
- 29.58 ml margarine
- 1 small onion, diced
- 118.29 ml celery, finely diced
- 78.07 ml canned carrots, chopped
- 78.07 ml canned garden peas
- 177.44 ml chicken broth
- 304.75 g can cream of chicken soup
- 9.85 ml dried parsley flakes
- 4.92 ml Worcestershire sauce
- salt & pepper
- Place 2 pie crusts in oven on 350 degrees for about 7-8 minutes. These will be the bottom of your pot pies.
- Meanwhile, in a skillet, saute onion and celery in heated margarine until tender.
- Add all other ingredients (except for pie crusts) and mix well.
- Remove bottom pie crusts from oven and put half of mixture into each crust.
- Place one of the uncooked crusts upside down on top of each mixture. Gently remove aluminum pan from each. Press edges of top and bottom crusts to seal. Cut a few small slits into top of each pie crust.
- Put both pies in oven and bake for 30 minutes at 400 degrees or until crust is browned.
- Hint: If you want to use fresh carrots and peas, you'll want to saute them in step 2 with the onions and celery to tenderize.
This was wonderful. Easy to make. I made mine with fresh carrots. I added extra carrots and peas. Made for Spring Pac 2009
Was gonna cut this recipe in half for 2 of us but then decided to take one over to the neighbors as well! Made it with fresh carrots, frozen peas, some homemade chicken broth & 2 cups of previously roasted, diced & frozen chicken breasts! Easy to make & very tasty! [Tagged, made & reviewed in All New Zaar Cookbooks Tag]