Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is a recipe I developed after reading so many recipes for chicken pot pies that included frozen or pre mixed ingredients. This is an (almost) from scratch recipe for chicken pot pies.
- 3 large chicken breasts
- 3 cups free range natural chicken stock
- 1 cup water
- 2 large carrots (Chopped)
- 3 large celery ribs (Chopped)
- 1 large onion (Chopped)
- 1 cup fresh green peas
- 1 teaspoon coriander seed
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon rosemary
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1 teaspoon tarragon
- 1 teaspoon sage
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 2⁄3 cup soy flour
- 1 sheet flat phyllo dough
- 1⁄4 cup butter (melted)
- After washing and drying, cut the chicken breasts into 2 inch cubes. Place the corriander and rosemary in a gringer and crush into small parts. Place the chicken, crushed spices and remaining items (less the peas) in a mid sized stock pot and bring to a boil, then immediately reduce to a simmer. Once the chicken is cooked remove from the rest of the stock, add the peas. Mix in the soy flour slowly and mix until disolved. Let the stock simmer until reduced or until the peas are soft. After the stock as reduced, remove the bay leaves and discard them.
- While the stock is reducing break the chicken it small pieces. Unroll the phyllo dough sheet and seperate about 1/2 of the sheets. Using the top of one individual size souffle bowl, cut the dough to make 6 - 8 crust tops.
- Pre heat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Place the cooked chicken evenly into 6 - 8 individual sized souffle bowls. The laddle in the stock less the chicken leaving a small space at the top for the crust. Layer the phyllo sheets on top of the bowls by brushing the melted butter between the sheets 2 or 3 sheets at a time.
- Place the souffle bowls in a cooking tray and bake for 20 minutes. After the 20 minutes are up turn the oven time to broil and cook until the tops brown and flake.
- Once the pies are browned remove and place to cool. Serve warm.