This is my own recipe based on navy beans and dice chicken breasts, potatoes, and carrots. I serve it with rice, but pasta could be used.
- 680.38 g navy beans or 680.38 g black-eyed peas
- 226.79-340.19 g boneless skinless chicken breast, diced into 1-inch cubes
- 340.19 g can tomato puree
- 1 onion, chopped (medium sized)
- 1 medium carrot, strips (1/2-inch thick)
- 1 medium potato sticks (1-inch x1/2-inch)
- 1 large red bell pepper, chopped
- 0 pimiento strip (optional)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 44.37 ml vegetable oil
- 1419.54 ml water
- 236.59 ml water
- 59.14 ml dry white wine (optional)
- 14.79 ml ketchup
- 14.79 ml brown sugar (optional)
- 4.92 ml allspice
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 4.92 ml powdered parsley, to taste
- 4.92 ml powdered thyme
- 4.92 ml coriander, to taste
- 2 stalk celery or 2 stalk cumin, chopped
- Wash beans and drain. Let them soak overnight or at least 3 hours before cooking. Discard the water.
- Pour the beans in a large pan, into the 6 cups of water. I like to have the water level about 1 inch above the beans. Cook on high to boiling point, then simmer for 1 hour. If water level recedes to less than 1/2-inch, add a little more. Stir the beans every 10 to 15 minutes. Don't let them stick to the bottom of the pan.
- Meanwhile, place the vegetable oil in a frying pan with the allspice and the brown sugar. Brown the diced chicken breasts.
- Mix all of the spices (onion, celery, pepper, cilantro or coriander, parsley, and garlic)and stir fry with the chicken until the onion softens, Add the wine and cook for 2 minutes. Add the ketchup and 1 cup of water. Simmer for 5 minutes. Set aside until beans are ready.
- After cooking the beans for 1 hour, add the potatoes and the carrots cut into julienne strips, the can or tomato concasse, the stir fried chicken and aromatic herbs (as desired). Adjust the salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve hot on rice.
- Instead of chicken use dice pork or salted pork, ham, ground beef, bacon, etc. or a mixture or combination of these (your choice).
- Pressure cooker may be used. In this case, cooking time is reduced. Cook the beans seperatley 20 to 30 minutes then add the rest and cook another 20 to 25 minutes.
- Beans may be baked.
- If you want to freeze this dish, remove the potatoes. Use fresh potatoes for next meal.