Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
From Jimmy Dean. I changed up a bit to our liking. I will note our changes.
- 1 lb jimmy dean hot and spicy sausage, cooked, crumbled and drained (recipe calls for regular flavor)
- 3 medium baking potatoes, baked, peeled and cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1⁄4 teaspoon thyme (recipe calls for 1 Tablespoon fresh thyme)
- 2 cups milk (I used 2%)
- 1 cup half-and-half (recipes calls for 3 cups milk instead of 1 cup half and half)
- 3⁄4 cup parmesan cheese
- salt and pepper
- Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Add onions; saute until tender.
- Stir in flour; cook 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Gradually stir in chicken broth; bring to a boil; stirring frequently, until thickened and smooth.
- Stir in milk, cream, thyme, sausage and potatoes. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer uncovered for 15 minutes.
- Stir in Parmesan Cheese. Serve hot.
Excellent.....and easy!! My kind of cooking!!,
My family absolutely loved this recipe. I just added 1/3 cup of parmesan instead of the 3/4. The thyme adds an incredible flavor and reminds me of thanks giving stuffing. So delicious!
Wonderful and simple flavors! i added the thyme with the onions and used a mild sausage instead, but we all loved it!!