Recipe by rontaylor1998
Am not sure where I got this recipe, but it is definitely better than the store boughten jelly rolls. The little extra work is worth the time. Slap your momma good!
- 3⁄4 cup cake flour, sifted (no exceptions)
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 4 eggs (room temperature)
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- powdered sugar
- 1 cup jelly or 1 1⁄2 cups sweet whipped cream
Directions See How It's Made
- Cover bottom of jelly roll pan (15 1/2 x 10 1/2 x 1-inch) with wax paper.
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Sift first three ingredients together. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, beat eggs at high speed until foamy. Add sugar slowly, a little at a time while mixer is running. Beat until very thick and the color of mayonnaise.
- Gently fold in dry ingredients just until blended.
- Pour into was papered pan and spread evenly to edges.
- Bake 12 - 14 minutes until golden and cake is springy.
- Loosen edges and invert in a kitchen towel (cotton, not terry-cloth) predusted with powdered sugar.
- Peel off wax paper and roll towel and cake from a short side. Cool on a wire rack.
- Unroll, spread a quality jelly of your liking to within 1/4 inch of edges, reroll without towel and place seam side down on platter. Dust with powdered sugar and serve in 1 to 1 1/2" slices.
- Refrigerate leftovers.
- Lemon Jelly roll variation: Prepare as above substituting 1/2 tsp lemon flavoring for the vanilla and add 1 tbsp finely grated lemon zest. Fill with Lemon Chess or Lemon pie filling (cooled).