Decadent Chocolate Jelly Roll
A spectacular dessert with a chocolate mousse like filling that is very easy to make!
- Ready In:
- 4 large eggs, room temperature
- 3⁄4 cup white sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 pinch salt
- icing sugar (confectioner's)
- chocolate hazelnut spread (Nutella)
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1⁄4 cup icing sugar
- 1⁄4 cup cocoa
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Spray a jelly roll pan with Pam.
- Line it with wax paper and again spray with Pam.
- Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl beat the eggs and vanilla for at least 2 minutes until frothy.
- Add the sugar in 3 additions (1/4 of a cup at a time) and beat for at least 5 minutes until thick and cream coloured.
- Sift in the flour, cocoa, baking powder and salt.
- Beat on low until all is incorporated into the egg mixture, but do not over beat.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan.
- Spread so that it is level and even.
- Bake for 13 minutes and check with a toothpick for doneness.
- While cake is baking, sift icing sugar heavily over a clean, cotton tea towel.
- Remove cake from the oven and invert carefully onto tea towel.
- Gently remove the wax paper.
- From the short end, roll the cake up together with the towel and place to cool completely on an elevated cooling rack.
- To prepare the filling: Sift the cocoa and icing sugar into the whipping cream and beat until stiff and spreadable.
- Unroll the cake.
- First spread with a layer of hazel nut spread, then with the whipped cream mixture.
- Roll up again without the towel and refrigerate.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION