Tongan Pie (Jelly Roll)
- Ready In:
3 pies/jelly rolls
- 5 cups flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1⁄4 cups margarine (cold)
- 3 eggs
- 1⁄2 - 3⁄4 cup milk (cold)
- Mix flour, sugar & powder well.
- Cut margarine in small cubes (cut long ways then short ways for tiny cubes).
- Throw margarine cubes into flour, then work it into flour until evenly broken up--much like making a pie crust.
- Add eggs (mix first in separate bowl) and rub together until even.
- Add milk & mix until not sticky but balls up.
- Roll out on floured surface about 1/4-1/3" thick.
- Spread with jam or jelly on entire surface leaving 1/2 " space along edges.
- Roll dough into one large log & fold ends under to keep jelly from oozing out.
- Transfer to foil lined cookie sheet.
- Bake at 275 degrees for 45 minutes.
Join The Conversation
This is a great recipe. The pies came out really great even though I made few changes. I used all butter and added another cup of sugar. I started out baking my pies at 275 deg for 45 mins but felt it was a bit too low and so I changed it to 400 deg for the rest of the 45 mins. Took it out after the 45 mins and they were really good. I will make this again and again but will start at 400 deg from the get go and will check after 35 to 40 mins. Thank you for sharing your wonderful recipe.