Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 40 mins
From my mother's recipe box. Yummy!
- 1 five pound whole chicken
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3⁄4 cup celery, chopped
- 2 cups carrots, chopped
- 10 ounces frozen English peas
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄3 cup flour
- 1 cup cream
- 2 pie crusts
- 1 tablespoon parsley
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon marjoram
- Boil chicken until tender done and debone (retain broth).
- Boil onions, carrots, celery in 1 1/2 cups of the broth.
- Make roux with butter and flour.
- Add cream and broth to roux and boil until thick.
- Add chicken to vegetables and pour in the gravy mixture.
- Mix well.
- Pour into crust and bake in 400 degree F oven for 40 minutes.
This is a great recipe. I made a few modifications. I added cubed potatoes and left out the peas. I added dehydrated chicken broth to the mix and used oregano instead of marjoram because I didn't have any. Instead of the cream I used evaporated milk. For the crust I used Bisquik just on top. Turned out great, full of flavour and just thick enough gravy. Thanks for this one it's a keeper.