Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
This Creole dish is a great way of using up leftovers, such as cold roast chicken. Oregano, which is sprinkled over the Jambalaya just before serving, if you can't find the fresh herb, use a little dried instead. From Cosmopolitan.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion
- 3 1⁄2 ounces frankfurters or 3 1⁄2 ounces smoked sausage, sliced
- 3 1⁄2 ounces cooked chicken, cut into cubes
- 4 ounces quick-cooking rice
- 13 ounces chopped tomatoes
- 7 ounces chargrilled roasted peppers, in oil, drained and chopped
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 pinch allspice
- salt and pepper
- chopped oregano, to garnish
- sour cream, to serve (optional)
- Heat the olive oil in a large frying pan and fry the onion for 3 minutes. Add the sausages and chicken and fry for a further 2 minutes.
- Add the rice, tomatoes, peppers, chicken stock, bay leaves and allspice. Cover and simmer very gently for 10 minutes or until the rice is tender and the liquid has been absorbed.
- Season with salt and pepper and scatter with oregano. Serve with soured cream, if desired.
I made this dish yesterday for my boyfriend and he LOVED it! I loved it because it was so easy to make! I doubled the recipe and added cayenne pepper to it! Thank you!