Prep 10 mins
Cook 35 mins
This recipe comes from Real Simple's March 2006 "Fake It, Don't Make It" section. I have only made jambalaya from scratch but this saves a lot of time.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 lb kielbasa, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 1 (28 ounce) can whole tomatoes
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 (8 ounce) box jambalaya rice mix (or fiesta-flavored) or 1 (8 ounce) box Spanish rice mix (or fiesta-flavored)
- 1 lb peeled and deveined raw shrimp
- 1⁄4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce (optional)
- Heat the oil in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Add the kielbasa, cooking until browned, about 4 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes and their liquid along with water. Crush tomatoes with the back of a spoon. Bring to a boil.
- Add the rice mix. Reduce heat, cover, and cook for the time specified on the package.
- Add the shrimp, stir, cover, and cook until pink, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add the hot pepper sauce before serving.