Prep 15 mins
Cook 6 hrs
We love Short Ribs, the meat is tender. ENJOY. Finalist in RSC#8 Caribbean contest.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs short rib of beef
- 1⁄2 cup white rum
- 1 cup white rice
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 fresh red pepper (diced)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup white flour
- 1 large sweet onion (sliced)
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon thyme
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- 1 cup beef broth
- Pour Olive Oil in skillet over med high heat.
- Salt & Pepper Short Ribs to taste.
- Dredge Short Ribs in Flour.
- Brown all sides of Short Ribs in skillet.
- Put layer of sliced Sweet Onions on bottom of Crock pot.
- Remove Ribs from skillet, place on top of onions in Crock pot.
- Deglaze skillet with 1/2 cup Beef Broth.
- Pour liquid in Crock pot.
- Mix the remaining 1/2 cup of Beef Broth, Rum, can Diced Tomatoes, Diced Red Pepper, Ginger, Garlic, Brown Sugar, Thyme, Cinnamon, Nutmeg, Red Pepper Flakes, Orange Zest, in a bowl, pour over Short Ribs in Crock pot. Cook 6-8 hours on low setting until meat is falling off bone.
- Serve over cooked rice.
Came across the recipe and just HAD to try it. The meat was amazing and fell off the bones as promised. I did have to make a substitution - I did not have canned tomatoes, so I used a pint of grape tomatoes sliced and it gave the sauce a wonderful fresh taste. The tomatoes kept their integrity very well. I also added a scotch bonnet that I pierced but left whole. That gave that little extra kick that to the dish that was wonderful!
The sauce this recipe produces was delicious. I used a 14.5 oz can of beef broth and just used the whole can. I didn't care for the fattiness of the short ribs; would use a different cut of meat next time and add a few pieces of haberno peppers to give a little more zest for my spice addicted family. Great recipe. Thanks.