- 1 cup long grain rice, uncooked
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons garlic, minced
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄4 cup dry red wine (or chicken broth)
- 2 tablespoons capers
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
Directions See How It's Made
- Prepare rice according to package directions, omitting salt and fat.
- While rice cooks, heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add onion and garlic, saute 3 minutes or until tender.
- Combine chicken and spices in a bowl.
- Add chicken mixture to pan and saute 4 minutes.
- Stir in wine, capers, beans, and tomatoes.
- Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 10 minutes until tender.
- Serve over rice.
- One serving equals 1 1/2 cups stew and 3/4 cup rice.